Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fantasy Garden


I have a not so secret desire to have a working vegetable garden. Trouble is I never seem to get to the point where I can get stuff ready in time. So this year I have a couple of small herb gardens. I basically have the tried and true herbs rosemary, oregano, parsley, chives, dill, thyme, tarragon, and the king of my garden basil. Most of the plants are doing pretty well, I don't think english thyme is meant for the Texas summer. Gardening is a learning experience for me. This year I've learned to give basil LOTS of room. The poor tarragon has been overwhelmed by the basil, but he's hanging in there.


I have been having fantasies of adding lots more herbs, like cilantro. I can't believe I live in Texas and didn't plant cilantro. They might revoke my Texan citizenship if too many people find out. After all you can't have a good pico de gallo without cilantro. But I also think i want to try some different varieties of basil and maybe mint. That's just the herb garden. I haven't even gotten to the fantasy vegetable garden. I have a feeling I won't have enough yard, my fantasy garden has already grown beyond the reality. Does anybody else have these fantasies? I imagine myself out in the garden harvesting my beautiful tomatoes, the vibrant peppers, deeply hued eggplants (in my dreams my husband will eat eggplant). Perhaps next year. Of course in my imagination there is no concern of drought, heat or bugs. Sometimes reality might not measure up to the dream. But then again all that fresh food, I bet it might be better.
Next year is the year.
Talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment